5th Annual World Naked Bike Ride, San Francisco

8th March 2014

The event was advertised by postings on the Internet, and a few new people showed up, beside the regulars.

Although folks were advised to show up at 11:00 a.m., there was hardly a soul around at that time. The weather was fine, warm with only scattered white, puffy clouds, so it was just tardiness that saw people slowly appearing. By 11:15 an elderly couple was among the first to come, and the first to take off some clothes, first tops to get some sunbathing in, and with the arrival of others they stripped completely, although they had brought no bicycles and by their actions just encouraged others to at least start taking off some clothes.

Ten minutes later, Carla from Berkeley proved to be a body painter and started out on the old couple. By 11:35 Carla herself got topless and continued body painting. She is a nice young woman, with a pretty smile and a good figure, and many cameras were pointed in her direction.

Slowly by slowly more bikers arrived, by far mostly men, but a few women also came. Lots of camera toters had arrived, too – mostly not bikers, but that is par for the course. Some of the male bikers undressed, getting ready for departure, but Jeff, the unofficial coordinator, said we should have a group photo on the hillside, and this was delayed much beyond the scheduled 12 o’clock noon departure time, in order to include more tardy arrivals.

By 12:30 p.m. the group photos were finally taken, and eight minutes later the ride-away commenced, out onto the Embarcadero which was the first thoroughfare for the group that now had grown to 2-3 dozen bicyclists at least. The men rode mostly either semi-nude or nude, while the women riders, out on the street, had two totally dressed, one topless, and one (Carla) now completely nude. Good show, Carla!

Last picture I took, was at 12:43 p.m., and then I had to rush for another job elsewhere in San Francisco, one that had already started three quarters of an hour earlier, and I was afraid it might even be over by the time I could arrive. It took me over half an hour on a bus to get to the second place. Well, I got lucky, I still had most of an hour in the second job, before they had to pack up.

Leif Heilberg

All photographs taken by Leif Heilberg, Viking Photography Inc., vikingphoto@earthlink.net

Share this page


Add a comment

Please enter the letters in the picture into the right hand box